Inducted on October 08, 2007
Biography of Gerald Butaud
Gerald, son of Sidney and Effie Bodin Butaud, was born in Abbeville and raised on a small dairy farm in Henry Louisiana. He is the father of two sons, Corey and Scott Butaud and the proud grandfather of Brittany, Connor and Hunter.
He graduated from Henry High School in 1963 and USL in 1967 with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Political Science and a minor in Sociology.
After graduation, he began a 33-year career with the Louisiana Department of Social Services, Vermilion Parish Office of Family Support. Starting at an entry level position, he was later promoted to Parish Administration/Manager. For 13 years as Parish Manager he was responsible for the management of his office which included a professional staff of 28. He was also responsible for various programs offered which included working with the Office of Emergency Preparedness and other public agencies during times of disaster. He represented the Office of Family Support on the Vermilion Parish Office of Emergency Preparedness Committee for thirteen years. During this period of time, he developed a very close working relations with most public agencies and the people of Vermilion Parish, including the elderly. He retired in 1999 and then worked in the private sector as part owner of a fire and safety/emergency response company until 2005.
His civic contributions are as follows:
• Past President - Vermilion Parish Interagency Task Force
• Past State President - Office of Family Support Administrators/Supervisors Association
• Served on Henry and Abbeville High School Booster Club Board of Directors
• Coached and served on Board of Directors for Vermilion Biddy Basketball, Little League and Babe Ruth Baseball
• Present - Vice President Tibby Faulk Memorial Salt Water (Non-Profit) - Award Academic Scholarships to graduating high school students
• Member of Henry Volunteer Fire Department and Maurice Fire Department
Gerald is running as a candidate for Police Juror of District 9 and some of his goals include:
★ Fight for improved drainage
★ Involvement on a state level, searching for funding to assist our district in securing monies for rebuilding roads, fire stations and properties damaged by Rita
★ Finding solutions to make our Parish less vulnerable to gulf storms by working with our Senators, Representatives, Congressmen and state government
★ Support the need for adequate jail space to keep criminals off our streets
★ Support prioritized budgetary spending to address critical issues first
★ Voice his opinion, offer knowledge, search for answers and make decisions based on information, validated needs and what is right, not on politics